- published by Annie’s Publishing as part of their Creative Woman Mystery series, 2013.
- When Shannon McClain and the Purls of Hope visit the alpaca and llama farm of Luke and Selena Barlow, little do they know that the twisted path of the next few days will lead them from their peaceful small town of Apple Grove, Oregon, straight to the brink of disaster.
The Crate Beyond
- published by Annie’s Publishing as part of their Antique Shop Mysteries series, 2017.
- When an unexpected message require Maggie to go through long-ignored boxes from her late husband’s archaeology lab, she discovers more than just priceless Native American artifacts in her storage room.
Travel to Ancient China in the comfort of your home!
- Available now through Amazon, Kobo, Barnes & Noble
- the first book in a YA historical/adventure/mystery trilogy
- It’s the beginning of the newly established Ming Dynasty and is a time of change. Mei-hua, the mixed-race daughter of a widowed magistrate, however, soon finds that change can mean disaster and danger to her and those she loves.
- Available through Amazon, Kobo, Barnes & Noble
- a 2016 Silver Falchion AWARD WINNER in the Best International category
- In 1380 China, only a thin, permeable border separates life and death, the visible realm and the netherworld. A dangerous border that is too easily crossed. This is Mei-hua’s world.Mei-hua lives behind the walls of her adopted family’s luxurious home in the bustling city of Hangzhou. However, her sense of peace and security is destroyed when she discovers a good and trusted friend has been seized by a mysterious affliction, leaving him on the brink of death. As she rushes to his side, a ragged beggar stops her and warns of dangers ahead.At her friend’s house, a Taoist priest travels to the netherworld in search of the cause behind the strange illness. The priest returns with a deadly ultimatum: her friend may escape death, but only if Mei-hua is willing to make a tremendous sacrifice. Mei-hua wants to help him. But can she? Should she? And at what cost?
- Available through Amazon, Kobo, Barnes & Noble
- A 2017 Agatha Award-nominee in the middle grade/young adult category and a 2017 Silver Falchion finalist.
- The Dragon Boat Festival is a time of partying and merrymaking, a time to disperse evil spirits and illnesses. In the midst of these festivities, however, lurks a menace more serious than any Mei-hua has encountered so far.
- Mei-hua is close to discovering who is behind the attempts to destroy her father, a district judge. To gain information, she searches through the streets and shops of Hangzhou City at the height of the Dragon Boat Festival celebrations. As she advances in her hunt, her creativity and strength are tested as never before.
the Mei-hua Trilogy
- Hidden, Warned, and Trapped are now all available in one ebook box-set through Amazon.
- The first in a new series.
- Launched on Chinese New Year’s day, February 16th 2018.
- Look for it on Amazon.
- As Hong Shu-chang struggles to move out of poverty, his father and uncle are murdered. Facing destitution, yet determined to find their killers, he takes a position as teacher in a nearby town where he meets Xiang-hua, the enigmatic local women’s doctor. Soon, a burned-out warehouse and two more mysterious deaths lead to his teaming up with Xiang-hua, and together they delve into the dark side of the town and its families, endangering both their reputations and lives.
EXPERIENCE An UP-CLOSE AND PERSONAL VIEW OF CRIME AND JUSTICE IN ANCIENT CHINA!
I’d never really done much in short stories, however, a friend encouraged me to do more in this area. So, the following are some of my endeavors. Thank you, Kelly Cochran!
As a result of Kelly’s prompting, I began publishing short stories in 2014 and have never stopped. Most of the stories are From Judge Lu’s Case Files series. Judge Lu is a magistrate who lived during the Ming Dynasty in Jiangxi Province in Southern China. These tales are modeled after the stories Chinese magistrates themselves have written over the centuries , as well as other short stories written by the Chinese literati (especially those involving the supernatural or crimes).
Judge Lu short stories available on Amazon:
- The first to come out in 2014, Legacy, from Judge Lu’s Ming Dynasty Case Files, can be found in the online magazine (free!) King River Life’s Father’s Day issue: http://kingsriverlife.com/06/
14/legacy-a-fathers-day- mystery-short-story/. This story highlights the connection we all have with our fathers and their influence over us—even as adults.
- A second Judge Lu case file, Reckoning, from Judge Lu’s Ming Dynasty Case Files, King River Life’s November 29, 2014 online magazine: http://kingsriverlife.com/11/29/reckoning-a-mystery-short-story/.
- TheJudge Lu case file, The Demon’s Reckoning, from Judge Lu’s Ming Dynasty Case Files, is in the 2014 anthology Under the Surface, edited by Bradley D. Watson and published by Saturday Writers, St. Peters, MO.
- Judge Lu’s Dilemma, from Judge Lu’s Ming Dynasty Case Files, came out in 2015 in Fish and Cut Bait: A Guppy Anthology, edited by Ramona DeFelice Long. All stories in this collection have to do with making life-changing decisions. This is a great set of mystery short stories. Available on Amazon.
IN THE 2016 ANTHONY AWARD WINNING ANTHOLOGY: The Immortality Mushroom, from Judge Lu’s Ming Dynasty Case Files, published in the Fall of 2015 in Murder Under the Oaks, the Bouchercon 2015 Anthology, edited by Art Taylor. Available from Down & Out Books and Amazon.
Double Trouble, from Judge Lu’s Ming Dynasty Case Files, in Kings River Life’s eMagazine (free!) http://kingsriverlife.com/08/29/double-trouble-from-judge-lus-ming-dynasty-case-files/.
The Unseen Opponent. from Judge lu’s Ming Dynasty Case Files, in Charlaine Harris Presents Malice Domestic 12: Mystery Most Historical. Edited by Verena Rose, Rita Owen, & Shawn Reilly Simmons. 2017 Available through Wildside Press and Amazon.
There are more Judge Lu Ming Dynasty Case Files coming! Stay tuned.
Lotus Shoes, a short story from Ancient China is available on Amazon. This is a prequel to Hidden and the Mei-hua trilogy. At only 4,5,00+ words, it will take you into Mei-hua’s ancient Chinese world. Ideally, Lotus Shoes should only be 4 inches to 5 inches long. When Mei-hua was born, young elite girls were expected to have their feet bound to ensure a good future. The questions is: will Mei-hua’s father force her to bind her feet and wear Lotus Shoes?
Former President & Member of Greater St Louis Sisters in Crime http://stlsinc.blogspot.com
National Sisters in Crime www.sistersincrime.org
Guppies Chapter Sisters in Crime www.sinc-guppies.org
Mystery Writers of America www.mysterywriters.org
Saturday Writers chapter of Missouri Writers Guild www.saturdaywriters.org
Society of Children’s Book Writers and illustrators